Can dogs go to lowes?
Can dogs go to lowes?
Do you have a pet dog that spends a lot of time in the backyard? Then your dog may be exposed to some harmful chemicals in the environment. These chemicals can be the source of health problems. One of the most commonly-known outdoor chemicals that is highly toxic to dogs is chlorpyrifos.
When a pet dog comes in contact with this chemical, it can lead to health problems like tremors, muscle spasms, seizures, severe diarrhea and many other serious medical issues. If you suspect that your pet has developed these symptoms, then it’s time to take him to the veterinarian to get a check-up. Luckily, it’s not too late to save the life of your pet. There are certain ways by which you can take care of the symptoms and keep your pet in good health.
First things first
Before you do anything, you must take the time to determine whether your dog has actually come in contact with this chemical. Here’s how to do that:
If you suspect that your dog has been exposed to chlorpyrifos, you should look for some clues. If you are able to spot some, then there’s a very good chance that you have discovered chlorpyrifos poisoning. These clues are:
Excessive licking of the mouth
How to protect your pet
Once you have figured out that your pet is exposed to chlorpyrifos, you can take the following actions to minimize the damage:
Stop using pesticides in your backyard.
Ensure that your dogs don’t eat any pesticide-laced vegetables.
Ensure that the dog’s water comes from a clean, chlorpyrifos-free source.
Clean the areas where your dog may have ingested the poison, including the mouth, stool, and any areas where he has licked himself.
If you notice that your dog has started vomiting, then it is best to ensure that he does not ingest any more food. As soon as you notice this, you should take him to a vet immediately. The vet can help you identify the source of the problem and advise you as to what needs to be done.
Possible side effects of chlorpyrifos
If your dog is an outdoor dog, then there is a chance that he will ingest the poison through the foods that you have provided for him. In such a case, your best course of action will be to make sure that the food you feed him contains only food-grade pesticides. If you have the same problem, then you should do as little as possible to remove the sources of the poison. This will allow your dog to recover quickly.
If your dog is an indoor pet, then it is likely that he will ingest the poison through some other food item or even through water. If you see that your dog has ingested some pesticide through these sources, then you should start by ensuring that the toxic food is removed from the dog’s surroundings. You can clean all surfaces in the room where the poison has fallen on the floor, walls, furniture, and other items. Next, you should make sure that the dog has access to fresh water and to the safest food possible.
If your dog has a history of vomiting, then you should call the vet immediately. Your vet will help you with cleaning up the area and will take care of your dog until the poisoning stops. He can prescribe medications and help you identify any future problems that you will need to be on the lookout for.
If your dog swallows the pesticide, then it is unlikely that he will die immediately. Most of the time, he will simply be in distress and in need of medical attention.
Contact Our Veterinarians
*All emergency services provided in emergency hours only, and subject to call back during normal business hours. Please note that Dr. Bensimon sees patients on weekdays only, but Dr. Rolston works evenings and weekends.
Please call us at 610-922-9133 or fill out the form below. Our friendly receptionist will get back to you within 1-2 business days. If you are urgent, please call during business hours. Thank you.
Phone Number *
Comment or Message *
Enter the characters you see in the picture, we'll guess your email (just make sure it's spelled correctly).