Information

My dog ate ant poison


My dog ate ant poison. Should I be worried?

My dog ate ant poison and so we had to go to the vet to give her the antidote. I just don't know what to think...

The poison came in as a cap on a contner of an ant spray. What should I do? The poison comes in an ant spray contner... and I thought it was odd for it to come in such a contner, because I thought this is how it is supposed to come. The company is a well known company and people are familiar with it.

But she ate it and we had to take her to the vet for the antidote. She hasn't been acting the same since it happened and I'm not sure if the ant poison is just a coincidence or she was exposed to the poison and was poisoned.

What should I do? Is it likely that she got the antidote and will have a normal day tomorrow, or should I take her to the vet agn?

Thanks!

Last edited by wannafraze on January 28th, 2010, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I would not have any worry with that spray. Not a good thing for you or your dog. I don't think so either. I don't know if the ant spray contner should ever come with poison in it. It is bad enough that the spray gets in the r when you are applying the spray. Having poison in there is a bad combination. She should be ok to the vet tomorrow and you will find out. I would think that is what you wanted to do anyway! Let us know how she does.

Wendy, your little girl is fine. The best thing to do is to get on to the internet and search the ant poison and find out how it would affect your pup. The answer to your question is no. There is no reason for you to worry. You did what needed to be done and your pup will be fine.

The following is strght from our website: Ants have been known to be carriers of some diseases that are spread to pets via this route of entry. Pets are at increased risk of these diseases if they become trapped in a car, tent, etc.

"Pets (including horses) are also at risk of contact with ant poison. Ant poison is made up of a highly concentrated form of cyanide. Cyanide is a poisonous compound that kills organisms that contn it.

Ant poison causes pets to rapidly loose their ability to breathe. As cyanide levels rise in the blood, the animal will appear pale, lose its ability to eat and drink and will eventually die. In large concentrations, the poisonous effects on pets can be immediate or delayed, depending on the dog's size.

Ant poison may be sprayed on surfaces frequented by pets (especially dogs). A small amount will be absorbed through the skin and into the blood circulation, leading to rapid death. It is also known that dogs and cats can eat the toxic insecticidal tablets that are placed on the pet's food bowl and absorb cyanide through the lining of the stomach. This form of contact can cause more insidious effects and the pet will need to be rushed to a vet.

Cats in particular have been observed to eat ant poison and then die in the next few hours, having a similar effect on them as if they had overdosed on cyanide.

The best thing to do if your pet becomes exposed to ant poison is to induce vomiting. If your pet is conscious at the time of ingestion (which is most cases) he/she will be able to vomit. However, if your pet is unconscious, it is necessary to induce vomiting via injections of medication such as Gastrolyte or Activated Charcoal. If you have only a few hours to prevent the effects of ant poison, you may want to try one of the antidotes below. If you suspect the ant poison was ingested by your pet, contact your vet immediately and tell him/her what you suspect.

Here are some antidotes to consider.

1. Antidote 1: Activated Charcoal. If your pet has vomited and the poison is in his/her stomach, it is a good idea to give the pet two teaspoons of activated charcoal in the form of a chewable tablet (if your pet is able to chew). You may also mix one cup of water with two teaspoons of the activated charcoal and give your pet that, or give your pet two tablespoons of the activated charcoal directly (if your pet is able to swallow the charcoal). If your pet vomited for only a short time before you realized the poisoning and had the charcoal, he/she should be fine to go home. If your pet vomited for several hours before you found out about the poison, or the charcoal was only partially dissolved, you may need to induce vomiting through either injection of meds or induce vomiting through the food tube. You can then try the activated charcoal agn. If you have enough time before your pet gets worse, continue to give the charcoal every hour until your pet is no longer vomiting.

2. Antidote 2: Gastrolyte. If you think your pet has vomited the poison, and he/she has not had the charcoal, give your pet two teaspoons of Gastrolyte. Do not use more than two teaspoons because the amount of activated charcoal will be lower if your pet has also ingested the medicated vomit. Do not give your pet anything to drink until he/she has eaten.

3. Antidote 3: Antipoison Kits. There are several types of antipoison kits for dogs and cats. If your vet is not avlable, have your owner get your pet to your vet for an exam as soon as possible, but it is safe to let your pet keep the poison kit on board as long as the kit is sealed and in a cool location. If your pet vomits and there is not time for you to get to the vet's office or for your vet to do an exam, give your pet the antidote kit and follow the instructions.

The antidote kits have a sealed bottle contning the antidote. If the bottle is broken, it will leak the contents and your pet will have to be re-dosed. Use the kit as soon as your pet vomits and for as long as he/she is vomiting. If your pet does not vomit for several hours, he/she may have stopped vomiting and may not need the antidote kit any longer. Do not give your pet anything to drink until he/she has eaten.

You will be instructed on what to do at home. Your vet may also give you instructions about what to do if your pet gets worse. Some of the advice can also be found in the "How to Stop Poisoning" section of this book.

## CHAPTER 8

## BUBBLES, BUNGS, AND BACTERIA

**I** t's natural to have some of the bacteria in your body. If you ate or drank something that you shouldn't have and your pet eats or drinks that, you may develop a disease. These diseases can cause your pet to lose a lot of his/her energy, look sick, have diarrhea, vomit, lose weight, and possibly die.

There are two mn types of diarrhea—acute and chronic. Acute diarrhea lasts only a few hours to a few days, while chronic diarrhea lasts longer than one week. Some common causes of acute diarrhea are an upset stomach, a respiratory infection, or a virus (such as parvovirus). Some of these problems can be corrected with medication. Chronic diarrhea may result from allergies to food, a disease, infection, parasites, or your pet drinking water with a high amount of iron


Watch the video: What to do if your pet eats something poisonous. (January 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos