If the decision is made that a hamster comes into the house for the offspring, it should be carefully considered by parents. Because even if hamsters are sugar-sweet, they are not always suitable for children. Of course, this does not mean that it is impossible. It always depends on the age of your child. A teenager can, after an instruction in species-appropriate hamster husbandry, assume the necessary responsibility for the small rodent. If it is to be a hamster even with smaller children, it is essential to lay down a few rules in advance and make it clear that the hamster is "only there to watch".
Hamster as a pet for children: Pro
In addition to an unbeatable price to buy and the little space that a hamster would take up in your living space, there are other advantages that hamsters also bring as pets for children:
- ● Great for little hamster researchers - One simply likes to watch the funny little chubby cheeks while they are walking in their bikes or "hamstering" their food. For small children, a hamster can only be observed. So if your child is one of the onlookers who don't want to hug animals but want to watch them, a hamster is well suited.
- ● Hamsters are nocturnal - If your child doesn't feel like the hamster for a few days, it doesn't matter. The rodents use the time to sleep anyway during the day and enjoy the peace.
- ● Taming hamsters is possible - If the hamster is often carefully taken out of its cage and has regular contact with people, then the little fur nose can be tamed wonderfully with a little patience.
- ● Hello loner - Hamsters are absolute loners and quickly get into the wool in the group. This is good for you if you are for your child one want sweet rodents and not an entire group. Because many rodents prefer to live in groups, for example rats, guinea pigs or chinchillas.
- ● Diversity in shape and color - Your child can choose from different types of hamsters: preferably smaller or larger; long fur or short fur? What color can it be?
Rats as pets for children: you should pay attention to this
Rats are active, sociable and intelligent, which makes them versatile pets - also for ...
Hamster as a pet for children: contra
There is also some reason not to buy this cute rodent as a pet for your child - at least if you want your child to take care of the animal. However, this is only possible from a certain age when there is a pronounced sense of responsibility. Small children should only be spectators for the following reasons:
- ● Hamsters night activity - There is also a disadvantage hidden in the advantage mentioned above: If your child goes to bed early, he can only watch the sleeping hamster during the day. Then he quickly gets bored. In addition, the frenzy of the hamster starts during twilight. This means that the volume from the cage will be very disturbing at night and it is not possible to accommodate it in the children's room.
- ● Low life expectancy in hamsters - Dwarf hamsters are only one and a half years old. There are also species that are granted two to three years of life. But for your child, the short life expectancy does not mean a particularly long bond with the animal and possibly early, unexpected grief.
- ● Increased maintenance - Hamsters must always have water, hay and straw available. Proper nutrition is important and the hamster cage also needs to be cleaned regularly. Hamsters need employment and sometimes some exercise. If your child is still very small, the work remains entirely in your hands.
- ● No cuddly toys - Even if they look like this: hamsters do not particularly like cuddling and cuddling. Children find it rather difficult to find a healthy "petting measure" and in the worst case there is a painful bite from the rodent. In young children, the motor skills are still too awkward, which is why the hamster can also escape or get injured.
There are different types of hamsters that can be used for keeping pets: golden hamsters, teddy hamsters and different types of dwarf hamsters. In some cases, they differ considerably in their posture and thus also in their effort. Therefore, it is essential to inform yourself about the differences before buying so that you can make the right choice for you.