Mange is a highly treatable skin infection propagated by parasitic mites. Unfortunately, for a short period of time before they either find a suitable host or die, they are able to cause an uncomfortable immune response in you. Dealing with the source of the infestation -- your dog -- is the only way to really combat these mites.
Eliminating Mange Requires Veterinary Treatment
Dogs acquire mange through contact with other infected mammals. Mange is highly contagious; all mites must be eliminated to prevent infection. A veterinarian can provide topical and antibacterial options to treat your pet. Pet owners who come in contact with a dog infested with mange will experience a temporary infestation whereby the mites will remain on the skin layer, causing an immune response such as pimples, redness or itching, but will not burrow into skin and cannot live for more than a couple days. When the infected dog is fully treated and mites are eliminated, any symptoms in humans should subside.