The stomach's rotation is favored by the dog's anatomy. In these animals, the stomach is only attached to the abdomen by a few ligaments, so that it has some leeway. If this suspension fluctuates due to a jerky movement of the fur nose, it may be that the organ rotates around its own axis - a health disaster.
If you suspect a stomach twist, you should see a veterinarian immediately. Because a short time after the stomach turns, the condition of your four-legged friend can become life-threatening and you cannot help yourself. Since every second counts, you should pay close attention to the corresponding symptoms.
Stomach twist in dogs: recognize symptoms
The rotation of the stomach itself causes only a brief pain, which you may not even notice in your dog - it may whine briefly. The following signs of gastric twist include restlessness: The dog starts walking back and forth. His back is curved, his stomach deeply drawn. Also, a dog with torso ventriculi may no longer lie - it changes places frequently and does not remain in one place for long. Typical symptoms of a twisted stomach are also
● A bloated stomach
● Strong salivation
● Feed is denied
● Constant gagging
● Unsuccessful attempts to drop feces.
Prevent stomach rotation: You can do that
Even if it rarely happens, especially owners of large dog breeds fear a stomach turn ...
Course of the dangerous dog disease
In the torso ventriculi, the stomach has turned completely around its own axis. This cuts off both the entrance and the exit of the digestive organ. Even the smallest amounts of food in the stomach ensure that gases are formed. Due to the blocked transport channels, these cannot escape from the stomach and therefore ensure that the stomach gradually swells more and more.
Because the stomach presses on the lungs, shortness of breath may occur in the further course. The mucous membrane of the mouth becomes pale and the dog becomes weaker and weaker until it can no longer stand and becomes completely apathetic. Untreated stomach rotation can lead to death after just a few hours.
Reduce the risk of stomach rotation
Large dogs with a wide chest are particularly susceptible to this type of disease, as their stomach has more leeway, but also older dogs, whose connective tissue becomes weaker. To keep the risk of stomach rotation as low as possible, you should take the following tips to heart:
● Leave your dog do not drink large amounts of water at once, because that increases the swinging motion of the stomach.
● The same applies to feeding: Instead of a large portion a day, are more suitable several small feedings.
● Feed your animal too wet food and easily digestible food. Too much dry food or food that is difficult to digest can promote gastric rotation.
● Avoid stress for their furry darling, especially when feeding.
● Leave your dog rest after eating, He must not jump around or roll wildly, the filled stomach could turn more easily.