Information

How Long After Eating a Calla Lily Will a Dog Get Sick?


The calla lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica) is not a member of the Lilium family -- it technically is not a true lily. Calla lilies contain crystals of calcium oxalate. When your dog bites into the plant, the crystals release and cause immediate mouth pain, as well as additional symptoms.

Symptoms of Calla Lilly Ingestion

When your dog bites into a calla lily, the calcium oxalate crystals enter the mouth, resulting in immediate burning and irritation. You may notice your dog pawing at his face to try to stop the pain. Other symptoms include excessive drooling, foaming at the mouth and vomiting. When you look at your dog’s mouth, you may see moderate to severe swelling in the oral cavity. Swelling may also occur in the airway, resulting in difficulty breathing and swallowing.

Lily Toxicity

If your dog ingests a true lily, such as the Easter Lily, the symptoms are much more severe. They include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, kidney failure and possibly death.

References


Watch the video: How To Get FREE Calla Lily Plants (May 2021).