Mouse bait traps work to rid a home, garage or barn of rodent pests. Mouse baits are poisonous to your dog, but the level of toxicity and the need for immediate medical care depends on the specific type of bait you use. Knowing the exact ingredients in your mouse bait traps is essential for proper treatment if your dog eats some. If you suspect your dog has ingested mouse bait, seek immediate veterinarian care.
Types of Bait and Symptoms
Four main types of rodent bait exist: long-acting anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin, and zinc and aluminum phosphides. Symptoms vary based on the ingredient ingested but include internal bleeding, nose bleeds, coughing, lethargy, pale gums, vomiting, diarrhea, bloody urine, increased thirst and urination, loss of appetite, loss of coordination, tremors, seizures, paralysis, stomach bloating, abdominal pain and liver damage.