Are Sago Palm Seed Pods Toxic to Dogs?

Sago palms (Cycas revoluta) are tropical plants that serve in landscapes and as houseplants. While all parts of the sago palm are toxic, the seed pods, or nuts, are the most toxic part of the plant.

What Happens After Ingestion

If your dog decides to chew on a sago palm plant or munch on a seed pod, symptoms may begin as soon as 15 minutes afterward. Initial symptoms include drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms are followed by weakness, seizures and tremors; severe liver failure may occur within 48 to 72 hours. Symptoms of liver failure include lethargy, fluid buildup in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice and black tarlike stool. The prognosis for a dog after sago palm ingestion is poor, with only 50 percent of sufferers surviving after aggressive treatment.


Watch the video: WARNING: Sago Palm Poison Dangerous To Pets u0026 Children (November 2021).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos